- 1 History
- 1.1 Formation in 1947
- 1.2 Early activities
- 1.3 Arrival of Allen Dulles
- 1.4 Cuban coup attempts
- 1.5 JFK assassination
- 1.6 Phoenix Program
- 1.7 Operation Condor
- 1.8 Watergate scandal
- 1.9 1970s congressional committees
- 1.10 Iran-Contra affair
- 1.11 Sexual blackmail exposure
- 1.12 9/11 involvement
- 1.13 Iraq WMD intelligence
- 1.14 Libyan and Syrian wars
- 1.15 2016 Russian hacking claims
- 2 Leadership
- 3 Abroad operations
- 3.1 Foreign coups
- 3.2 Arming terrorists
- 3.3 Drug trafficking
- 3.4 Gladio stay-behind
- 3.5 PROMIS espionage
- 3.6 Torture program
- 3.7 Drone program
- 4 Domestic operations
- 5 Role in the Enterprise
- 6 Political connections
- 7 Corporate connections
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- 9.1 OSS and Project Paperclip
- 9.2 Leadership revolving door
- 9.3 Phoenix Program
- 9.4 1973 Chile
- 9.5 Drug trafficking
- 9.6 Money laundering
- 9.7 Operation Gladio B
- 9.8 Venezuela subversion
- 9.9 Afghanistan War
- 9.10 Iraq War
- 9.11 Syrian Civil War
- 9.12 Ukraine crisis
- 9.13 Operation Mockingbird
- 9.14 University influence
- 9.15 Election fraud
- 9.16 Other curiosities
Formation in 1947
Arrival of Allen Dulles
Cuban coup attempts
Main article: JFK assassination
Main article: Phoenix Program
Main article: Watergate scandal
1970s congressional committees
Main article: Iran-Contra
Sexual blackmail exposure
Main article: 9/11
Iraq WMD intelligence
Libyan and Syrian wars
2016 Russian hacking claims
Main article: 2016 election Russian hacking allegations
- Allen Dulles (1953/02/09 - 1961/11/29)
- John McCone (1961/11/29 - 1965/04/28)
- William Raborn (1965/04/28 - 1966/06/30)
- Richard Helms (1966/06/30 - 1973/02/02)
- James Schlesinger (1973/02/02 - 1973/07/02)
- Vernon Walters (acting) (1973/07/02 - 1973/09/04)
- William Colby (1973/09/04 - 1976/01/30)
- George H.W. Bush (1976/01/30 - 1977/01/20)
- E. Henry Knoche (acting) (1977/01/20 - 1977/03/09)
- Stansfield Turner (1977/03/09 - 1981/01/20)
- William Casey (1981/01/28 - 1987/01/29)
- Robert Gates (acting) (1986/12/18 - 1987/05/26)
- William Webster (1987/05/26 - 1991/08/31)
- Richard Kerr (acting) (1991/09/01 - 1991/11/06)
- Robert Gates (1991/11/06 - 1993/01/20)
- William Oliver Studeman (acting) (1993/01/21 - 1993/02/05)
- James Woolsey (1993/02/05 - 1995/01/10)
- William Oliver Studeman (acting) (1995/01/11 - 1995/05/09)
- John Deutch (1995/05/10 - 1996/12/15)
- George Tenet (1996/12/16 - 2004/07/11)
- John McLaughlin (acting) (2004/07/12 - 2004/09/24)
- Porter Goss (2004/09/24 - 2006/05/05)
- Michael Hayden (2006/05/30 - 2009/02/12)
- Leon Panetta (2009/02/13 - 2011/06/30)
- Mike Morell (acting) (2011/07/01 - 2011/09/06)
- David Petraeus (2011/09/06 - 2012/11/09)
- Mike Morell (acting) (2012/11/09 - 2013/03/08)
- John Brennan (2013/03/08 - 2017/01/20)
- Meroe Park (acting) (2017/01/20 - 2017/01/23)
- Mike Pompeo (2017/01/23 - present)
1961 Cuba (failed)
Main article: Phoenix Program
Main article: Haiti exploitation by the US
2011 Syria (ongoing)
[From 1984 to 1994, under the auspices of USAID (frequently a front for CIA activities), the University of Nebraska-Omaha printed textbooks for Afghan schoolchildren promoting militant Islamist teachings and hatred for the Soviets. Ronald Roskens, the president of the University of Nebraska system from 1977 to 1989 (throughout nearly all of Operation Cyclone), may have had a hand in this, especially considering his appointment as USAID director under George H.W. Bush in 1990. The article Washington Post, "BUSH PICKS NEBRASKA EDUCATOR TO HEAD AID", 1989/11/02 indicates that he did have a role in the USAID initiative. Roskens was also implicated in the Franklin child sex ring, which was used for CIA blackmail operations.]
Main article: Iran-Contra
Operation Gladio B
Main article: Drug trafficking
Main article: Operation Gladio
[As part of Operation Gladio, the CIA established fascist undergrounds in European countries, with the purpose of maintaining a CIA/NATO presence against "communism" (i.e. any form of left-wing politics). The political and intelligence apparatuses of many of these countries was infiltrated through the placement of CIA assets, establishing front organizations, and blackmail. Permindex, whose board included JFK assassination conspirator Clay Shaw, was likely one of these CIA fronts for Gladio operations. Italian news articles in the late 1960s implicated it in a CIA-backed assassination attempt against Charles de Gaulle. Blackmail was an even darker side of Gladio, leading to the establishment of elite child sex rings similar to those in the United States (such as Franklin). The Dutroux affair in Belgium was the most notable case of a Gladio-connected child sex ring being exposed, although the elite connections were largely covered up. It provided a brief look at Belgium's much larger fascist network established as part of Gladio, with links to organized crime, US intelligence services, and private contractors like Wackenhut.]
Main article: Inslaw affair
Main article: Operation Mockingbird
Mind control experiments
Sexual blackmail likely began as a subproject of the mind control programs, with one of the initial aims being to compromise foreign and domestic leftists (as stated by Roy Cohn, one of the early pioneers of such an operation).
Main article: 2016 election Russian hacking allegations
[Still not entirely clear whether the CIA's reports of Russian hacking in the 2016 election are legitimate or fabricated to increase tensions with Russia. The CIA has a history of covert operations to push back Russian influence, and has developed tools (see Vault 7) for disguising their hacks as the work of foreign governments by appropriating malware signatures and techniques. On the other hand, a number of domestic and foreign intelligence services confirm the CIA's claims, and it's unknown if the CIA has enough clout to perpetuate such a far-reaching lie. Until better evidence surfaces, the legitimacy of the Russian hacking allegations is up in the air.]
Role in the Enterprise
Main article: The Enterprise
Arms and drugs
There are many signs of CIA involvement in US election rigging. CIA operatives and associates consistently show up behind the development, adoption, and control of electronic voting, the primary means of election fraud in the modern era:
- In 1964, only a year after the JFK assassination, the major media outlets (all infiltrated by the CIA) set up News Election Services (NES), an election reporting consortium with the ability to control the vote count (by reporting whatever results they wanted, and colluding with local officials and private contractors).
- An FBI investigation into the rigged 1970 Dade County Democratic primary involving Jim and Ken Collier was partially classified by the CIA.
- The Dallas business community, which has a long history with the CIA, spearheaded the consolidation of the elections industry with Business Records Corporation and Hart Intercivic. Cronus Industries, the owner of BRC, had substantial ownership influence from Caroline Hunt, heiress to Dallas oilman H.L. Hunt (a man with an alleged connection to the CIA and JFK assassination).
- Meanwhile, the Omaha World-Herald acquired a substantial stake in AIS (predecessor to ES&S) during the 1980s. The World-Herald's publisher at the time was Harold Andersen: a personal friend of George H.W. Bush (longtime CIA insider), State Department advisor for overseas democracy building, and potential media control asset under Operation Mockingbird. Andersen was also compromised by the CIA due to his role as a child molester in the Franklin scandal.
- Global Election Systems hired embezzler Jeffrey Dean into a key position, which he leveraged to add GEMS backdoors facilitating local election theft. He may have also been involved in writing software patches for the suspect 2002 Georgia election. Dean stole from the politically-connected Seattle law firm Culp, Guterson & Grader, but was protected from prosecution for failure to make restitution and was elevated in the elections industry. It's suspected that some of the partners at CG&G were crooked and decided to use Dean for their own ends. One of the partners at CG&G was Egil Krogh, the infamous Watergate figure who was likely a CIA asset dating back to his time with Dr. Roy Prosterman in Vietnam.
- Several cocaine traffickers from the Iran-Contra era have become election insiders. Ken Hajjar, a Londonderry NH resident busted in 1987, became the sales and marketing director at LHS Associates. John Elder, the prison buddy and business partner of Jeffrey Dean, helped connect Dean to Global Election Systems and later went on to lead their ballot printing plant. Hank Asher, whose ties to the CIA are the most likely, ran DBT, used for the 2000 Florida election felon purge, and TLOxp, a data mining company hired by GOP election rigging company SmarTech.
- Robert Gates, a high-level CIA official involved with Iran-Contra, the Inslaw affair, and electioneering in foreign countries, led SAIC and VoteHere in the late 1990s and early 2000s, during the time that both companies were pushing the Help America Vote Act.
- Adnan Khashoggi, an Iran-Contra arms dealer also involved in the drug trade, has multiple connections to suspect elections. Theresa LePore, designer of the infamous butterfly ballot that helped swing the 2000 Florida election to Bush, was a flight attendant on Khashoggi's private planes during the 1980s. Replicas of the butterfly ballot were later sold by Triad GSI, an election contractor that rigged tabulators in the 2004 Ohio election to assure Bush's victory. "Triad" is a name used by many of Khashoggi's front companies during the early 1980s around Palm Beach FL; Triad GSI was founded during that same time and in that same area.
All of this suggests that the CIA plays a pivotal role in determining the outcome of US elections.
Several human trafficking networks and sex ring scandals have been linked to the CIA, including:
More speculative CIA links include:
- John Norman's pedophile networks
- Atlanta child murders
- Presidio sex abuse case
- Straight Inc.
- Dutroux affair and other similar networks under Operation Gladio
- George H.W. Bush - recruited into the CIA early in his adult life, used the Texas oil business as a cover, accused of involvement in the JFK assassination, led the Iran-Contra covert network, his intelligence circle likely had a role in 9/11
- Bill Clinton - covered up Iran-Contra drug running in his home state
- Hillary Clinton - operated Middle East rat lines under the Barack Obama administration
- Egil Krogh? - implicated by Charles Colson, John Dean, and John Ehrlichman in CIA drug trafficking; spent time in Vietnam under Dr. Roy Prosterman, architect of the CIA's Phoenix Program; hired CIA agent Lucien Conein to the DEA's predecessor
- Karl Rove? - Cliff Arnebeck says Rove "was carrying George H. W. Bush’s bag when he was director of the CIA"
- Lawrence E. King - S&L operator and child sex ring operator
- Craig J. Spence - Vietnam media asset, sexual blackmail operator
- Roy Cohn - alleged board member of Permindex, mob lawyer, child sex ring operator, Donald Trump's mentor
- George Soros? - global capitalist, Democratic benefactor, and NGO leader, implicated in numerous regime change operations
- Jack Abramoff? - powerful GOP lobbyist involved with human trafficking, as well as potentially election fraud, sexual blackmail, and terrorist financing
- John Podesta? - good friend of Leon Panetta; lobbied for corporations and foreign governments at the Podesta Group
- Tony Podesta? - even longer involvement with the Podesta Group
- Oliver North? - alleged by Terry Reed to be a CIA agent using the alias "John Cathey"
- Katharine Graham - publisher of the Washington Post
- Harold Andersen? - Omaha media executive and State Department adviser; has the appearance of CIA ties, but unconfirmed
- Wall Street and the financial sector
- Clark Clifford, who helped draft the 1947 National Security Act, later ran Clifford & Warnke and helped bring BCCI to America
- Allen Dulles, CIA director (1953-1961), was a lawyer for Sullivan & Cromwell
- William Casey, CIA director (1981-1987), headed the SEC and Export-Import Bank under Nixon/Ford
- Robert Gates, CIA director (1991-1993), later joined Fidelity Investments' board of trustees
- John Deutch, CIA director (1995-1996), later joined Citigroup's board of directors
- George Tenet, CIA director (1997-2004), later became managing director of investment bank Allen & Company
- Buzzy Krongard, CIA executive director (2001-2004), was chairman and CEO of A.B. Brown
- Interestingly, Mike Pompeo seems to buck this trend and instead represents the Koch/ALEC interests as well as the military-industrial complex, which has many companies like Beech and Cessna in Wichita KS (Raw Story, "Trump’s CIA pick Mike Pompeo is a Tea Party war hawk who was bankrolled by the Koch brothers", 2016/11/18; Washington Post, "The Koch brothers can save the Republican Party - by making it more moderate, 2014/05/23)
- Dallas business community
- Jackson T. Stephens's firms
- Omaha business community
- BCCI - linked to the Stephens financial empire
- Savings-and-loan institutions
- International Trade Mart - run by Clay Shaw, some of Barry Seal's businesses were there
- Permindex - tied to Gladio operations, had Clay Shaw and allegedly Roy Cohn as board members
Highly-plausible or confirmed:
- Yale University - home to the Skull and Bones secret society whose members include Bush Sr. and Bush Jr.
- Harvard University - site of mind control experiments conducted on Ted Kaczynski
- Michigan State University (MSU) - worked as a CIA front for propping up the South Vietnamese government; home to protected pedophile activity, as seen in the Larry Nassar case in 2018; allegedly a site for illicit human experiments, which has become more plausible in 2018 given the corruption of its medical department revealed in the fallout of the Larry Nassar cover-up; alma mater of John Ramsey
- University of Washington - where Roy Prosterman, who helped inspire the Phoenix Program, taught law, with one of his students being Egil Krogh; also employed as a professor mind control psychologist Dr. Donald Dudley
- Stanford University - site of cult activity; mind control doctors like (almost certainly) Dr. Donald Lunde part of the faculty
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) - mind control doctors like Dr. Louis Jolyon West part of the faculty
- University of California, Davis (UC Davis) - involved in bioweapons research linked to Sid Siemer, Clyde Stormont, and Ursula Abbott
- University of Nebraska system - had a relationship with USAID to make Afghan textbooks that were anti-Soviet and pro-jihad during the 1980s; its president from 1977 to 1989 was pedophile Ronald Roskens, an associate of Lawrence E. King from the Franklin scandal; the University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor from 1991 to 1995 was Graham Spanier, later involved in covering up Jerry Sandusky's child abuse at Penn State
- Emporia State University? - alma mater of R. Doug Lewis; anonymous online post alleges the biology department is involved with the "global pestilence black market" (i.e. bioweapons)
- University of Chicago? - home to neoliberal economic planners (Milton Friedman and the "Chicago Boys") who implemented their ideas under the CIA-backed dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet
- Pennsylvania State University? - site of a pedophile ring with connections to the East Coast political power establishment and Franklin
- Georgia Tech? - implicated in the election rigging enterprise by Wayne Madsen and Cliff Arnebeck; confirmed ties to voting technology
- Lobster, "A 'great venture': overthrowing the government of Iran" by Mark Curtis
- New York Times, "Haitian Ex-Paramilitary Leader Confirms C.I.A. Relationship", 1995/12/03
- Liberation News, "NATO forces already operating in Syria", 2012/03/13 - NATO forces driving the "civil war" in Syria since early 2012
- Business Insider, "HACKED STRATFOR EMAILS: The US Government Sent Blackwater Veteran To Fight With Rebels In Libya And Syria", 2012/03/20
- New York Times, "C.I.A. Said to Aid in Steering Arms to Syrian Opposition", 2012/06/21
- Jeffrey St. Clair and Alexander Cockburn, "How Jimmy Carter and I Started the Mujahideen", 1998/01/15 - Zbigniew Brzezinski admits the CIA armed the Mujahideen starting in 1979
- Washington Post, "ANATOMY OF A VICTORY: CIA'S COVERT AFGHAN WAR", 1992/07/19 - CIA director William Casey worked with the Pakistani ISI to train and arm Afghan fighters
- Washington Post, "From U.S., the ABC's of Jihad", 2002/03/23 - from 1984 to 1994, the University of Nebraska-Omaha printed Afghan school textbooks for USAID with radical Islamist and anti-Soviet teachings
- James Corbett interview with Sibel Edmonds about Gladio B
- Ceasefire Magazine, "Why was a Sunday Times report on US government ties to al-Qaeda chief spiked?", 2013/05/17 - article on Sibel Edmonds's claims about Gladio B
- Rigorous Intuition thread on a timeline of US imperialism, war, and covert operations: pages 1, 2
- The Intercept, "A New Biography Traces the Pathology of Allen Dulles and His Appalling Cabal", 2015/11/02 - covers The Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot and the Safari Club private intelligence network
- New York Times, "Russia Isn’t the Only One Meddling in Elections. We Do It, Too", 2018/02/17
OSS and Project Paperclip
Leadership revolving door
- Lux Capital biography of venture partner R. James Woolsey
- Bank of America, "Retired Four-Star U.S. Army General Tommy Franks Appointed to Bank of America Board of Directors", 20??/12/13
- UPI, "Tenet gets job at secretive N.Y. bank", 2008/02/18 - bank is Allen and Co.
- Reuters, "Deutch finally leaves the Citi board", 2010/01/08
- Reuters, "KKR names former CIA head Petraeus as chairman of new institute", 2013/05/30
- The Guardian, "Kissinger covered up Chile torture", 1999/02/27
- Slate, "The Other 9/11", 2013/09/11
- Consortium News, "Making the Economy ‘Scream’", 2013/10/09
- The Guardian, "Pinochet directly ordered killing on US soil of Chilean diplomat, papers reveal", 2015/10/08
- SFGate, "CIA role in S.F. coke case disclosed", 1998/08/10 - has CIA counsel Lee Strickland refer to Joseph Russoniello as "most deferential to our interests"
- The Guardian, "Manuel Noriega: feared dictator was the man who knew too much", 2017/05/30
Operation Gladio B
- F. William Engdahl, "What if Putin is Telling the Truth?", 2015/05/15
- National Security Archive, "NATO Expansion: What Gorbachev Heard", 2017/12/12: "Declassified documents show security assurances against NATO expansion to Soviet leaders from Baker, Bush, Genscher, Kohl, Gates, Mitterrand, Thatcher, Hurd, Major, and Woerner"
- Consortium News, "Hidden in Plain View in Belgrade", 2018/08/03
- Michael Green connects ES&S to covert CIA operations in Venezuela and the Franklin scandal
- "Additionally, Bush 41 helped control the flesh squads, used it as rewards for insiders and as blackmail against those who wanted to take an independent course but whom he had photograped sinning. Amongst the circle of pedophiles that DeCamp exposed was Harold W. Andersen, then the owner-manager of the Omaha World Herald, and chairman of the World Press Freedom Committee (1979-1996) who lunched frequently with Bush 41. Bush, Andersen, and Singlaub were all active in Iran-Contra and funding the death squads in Central America to suppress all worker and civil liberties. (See also Inside the League by by Jon Lee Anderson before he became a writer for The New Yorker.) Andersen remained chairman, CEO and publisher of OWH through 1989, but continud to maintain an influential role in its operations. DeCamp's evidence is overwhelming, and, like so many unknown tales of domestic covert operations, it is laced with a dozen or so dead bodies of those who interfered with progress. I had put off reading DeCamp's book for years, and now I know why I did so. DeCamp was supposed to have been hit, but an opportunity arose to kill his essential chief investigator who had just discovered evidence that would expose the operation by itself, so DeCamp was spared. Before joining McCarthy & Co., Hagel was President and Chief Executive Officer of the Private Sector Council (PSC) in Washington, D.C. under Bush 41, Deputy Director and Chief Operating Officer of the 1990 Economic Summit of Industrialized Nations (G-7 Summit) and President and Chief Executive Officer of the World USO. Shortly afterward leaving the PSC, he took over as Chairman of ES&S (then called AIS). So the mystery of why the press, but especially why the OWH did not expose Hagel has been explained to my satisfaction."
- "All of which brings me to a singular weakness of Fitrakis' marvelous article. Do you recall that the USGIC-laden SAIC has been called upon to investigate the integrity of the electoral process in Maryland? If not, re-read that paragraph. Bob never tells us what "SAIC" stands for. Well, I'm not really a full-blown conspiracy theorist. I believe in coincidence. I am finishing Eva Golinger's The Chavez Code: Cracking US Intervention in Venezuela, and by coincidence I came upon a passage that prompted me to want to know who ran Science Applications International Corporation because the group had been instrumental in faciliating an anti-Chavez December 2002 strike that threatened to topple the government. What caught my eye was the means that SAIC used to sabotage the state-owned oil company on which Venezuela depended for its revenues, PDVSA, but I figured it was only a coincidence that the mechanisms used by SAIC paralled those used to hack USA domestic voting machines.
> The high-level managers and other workers in PDVSA who joined the strike not only violated their own contracts, but also made it impossible for supplemntal workers to access codes and authorized areas in order to run the refineries and other industry operations. INTESA, a little known but strategically imporant venture between a US company with CIA ties, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), and PDVSA, played a key role in crippling Venezuela's oil industry.
> INTESA, the information and technology enterprise that was formed to run all electronic opeations at PDVSA and to upddate many of the older, analog systems, not only promptly joined the strike, but also intentionally sabotaged essential equipment and networks necessary to run the industry. From remote locations, INTESA employees altered access codes and programming, making it impossible for remaining PDVSA workers to run computers, machines, and refinery equipment. As a result, Venezuela's oil producion was brought to a halt, adn the losses were devastating. (pp.102-103)"
- Salon, "Hugo Chavez’s economic miracle" by David Sirota, 2013/03/06
- The Independent, "CIA chief hints agency is working to change Venezuelan government", 2017/07/25
- Joe Emersberger (of FAIR), "Why Venezuela Reporting Is So Bad", 2018/06/28
- Rigorous Intuition thread on Abby Martin and Venezuela
- Twitter thread by fcn_84 started 2019/01/21 about the use of US sanctions to financially cripple Venezuela
- The Independent, "Venezuela crisis: Former UN rapporteur says US sanctions are killing citizens", 2019/01/26
- FAIR, "The ‘Venezuelan People’ Are Whoever Agrees With Donald Trump" by Alan MacLeod, 2019/01/31
- Mint Press News, "US Air Freight Company that Smuggled Weapons Into Venezuela Linked to CIA “Black Site” Renditions", 2019/02/13 (McClatchy DC, "Venezuela says plane from Miami delivered weapons for use by enemies of Maduro", 2019/02/07; McClatchy DC, "Air charter firm, client both deny role in alleged shipment of arms to Venezuela", 2019/02/08)
- BBC, "Iraq 'has no terror weapons'", 2002/06/06
- National Intelligence Estimate: "Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons of Mass Destruction", 2002/10 - says that it "was approved for publication by the National Foreign Intelligence Board under the authority of the Director of Central Intelligence"
- Oil and gas motivation
- Noam Chomsky, "The Israel Lobby?", 2006/03/28
- Lisa Pease, "It WAS all about Oil", 2007/04/24
- The Independent, "Secret memos expose link between oil firms and invasion of Iraq", 2011/04/18
- New York Times, "In Rebuilding Iraq’s Oil Industry, U.S. Subcontractors Hold Sway", 2011/06/17
- Al Jazeera, "Western oil firms remain as US exits Iraq", 2012/01/07
- CNN, "Why the war in Iraq was fought for Big Oil" by Antonia Juhasz, 2013/04/15
- The Guardian, "Iraq invasion was about oil" by Nafeez Ahmed, 2014/03/20
- Leak of Nations, "15 years after the invasion of Iraq, and now largely out of the glare of the media, US and UK oil corporations start to flaunt the spoils of imperial conquest", 2018/01/10
Syrian Civil War
- Early opposition
- US government had been covertly supporting the Syrian opposition since 2006
- Truthout, "WikiLeaks Reveals How the US Aggressively Pursued Regime Change in Syria, Igniting a Bloodbath", 2015/10/09
- Indian journalist Prem Shankar Jha claims that the protesters in 2011 were the first to resort to violence
- 7 police officers and 4 protesters were killed, indicating violence on both sides
- DEBKAfile report on 2011/08/01 that opposition was heavily armed - "Syrian armored forces shooting at random are now running into heavy resistance: Awaiting them are anti-tank traps and fortified barriers manned by protesters armed with heavy machine guns."
- Stratfor intelligence analysis says that Syrian opposition would be unlikely to gain significant quantities of weaponry without foreign backing
- DEBKAfile report on 2011/08/15 that NATO and Turkey preparing for war - "NATO headquarters in Brussels and the Turkish high command are meanwhile drawing up plans for their first military step in Syria, which is to arm the rebels with weapons for combating the tanks and helicopters spearheading the Assad regime's crackdown on dissent. Instead of repeating the Libyan model of air strikes, NATO strategists are thinking more in terms of pouring large quantities of anti-tank and anti-air rockets, mortars and heavy machine guns into the protest centers for beating back the government armored forces."
- American Herald Tribune, "The day before Deraa: How the war broke out in Syria", 2016/08/10 (TODO: Check sources)
- Libya/Syria ratlines
- New York Times, "Rebel Arms Flow Is Said to Benefit Jihadists in Syria", 2012/10/14 - in late 2012, most arms for Syrian rebels were going to jihadists
- Business Insider, "How US Ambassador Chris Stevens May Have Been Linked To Jihadist Rebels In Syria", 2012/10/19 - evidence that Chris Stevens was at least aware of Libyan weaponry flowing to Syrian rebels
- New York Times, "U.S.-Approved Arms for Libya Rebels Fell Into Jihadis’ Hands", 2012/12/05 - Qatar funneled arms destined for Libyan rebels to Islamist groups
- New York Times, "Arms Airlift to Syria Rebels Expands, With Aid From C.I.A.", 2013/03/25 - CIA involvement, alongside Gulf monarchies and Turkey, in airlifting arms to Syrian rebels
- CNN, "Exclusive: Dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during Benghazi attack", 2013/08/01
- Business Insider, "Intrigue Surrounding The Secret CIA Operation In Benghazi Is Not Going Away", 2013/08/03 - possible connection between the secret CIA mission in Benghazi and arms transfers to Syria
- Seymour Hersh, "The Red Line and the Rat Line", 2014/04/17 - claims the existence of a CIA-connected ratline sending Libyan arms to the Syrian rebels
- Seymour Hersh, "Military to Military", 2016/01/07 - expands on the story of this ratline
- New York Times, "U.S. Relies Heavily on Saudi Money to Support Syrian Rebels", 2016/01/24 - confirmation of CIA-Saudi partnership to support the Syrian opposition in Timber Sycamore
- AlterNet, "U.S. and Gulf Allies Supported Islamist Extremists in Syria, Qatar’s Ex-Prime Minister Admits, Bolstering Growing Evidence", 2017/06/16 - former Qatar prime minister admits the US and its Gulf allies supported Islamist extremists in Syria
- Video of this former prime minister confessing more details
- Mint Press News, "Wikileaks: To Weaken Iran, US Undermined Democratic Elements of Syrian Opposition to Empower Radical Groups", 2018/10/01
- Foreign importation of opposition forces
- ISIS support
- 2012 DIA memo revealing the US desire to establish a "Salafist principality" (i.e. Islamic state) in Syria
- Hillary Clinton emails John Podesta saying that Saudi Arabia and Qatar provide clandestine support to ISIS
- Conflict Armament Research, "Weapons of the Islamic State", 2017/12 (also: good summary by Separation of Corporation and State)
- BBC Radio 4, "Al Qaeda in Syria", 2015 - former intelligence agent mentions a plausibly-deniable "jihadi Wal-Mart" for ISIS to obtain US weapons
- Regardless of whether the CIA was in direct contact with ISIS, they must have known that their weapons shipments were arming ISIS, and continued anyway
- Justin King, "Canadian intelligence caught clandestinely backing Islamic State", 2015/03/22 (needs verification)
- Justin King, "ISIS Commander’s phone shows contact with Turkish intelligence", 2015/12/23 (needs verification)
- White Helmets
- Truthdig, "The ‘White Helmets’ and the Inherent Contradiction of America’s Syria Policy", 2016/10/05
- 21st Century Wire, "White Helmets Funded By US, UK, EU and Qatar governments", 2016/10/10 (verify funding info source)
- AlterNet, "Yet another video shows U.S.-funded white helmets assisting public-held executions in rebel-held Syria", 2017/05/25
- Mint Press News, "James Le Mesurier: The Former British Mercenary Who Founded The White Helmets", 2017/07/31 (cites Men's Journal, "The Most Dangerous Job in the World: Syria’s Elite Rescue Force", 2014/12/10)
- Jason Jones, "White Helmets Exposed as Extremists: 65 Facebook profiles of Their Members", 2017/11/14
- Max Blumenthal, "Exclusive Emails Show How The White Helmets Tried To Recruit Roger Waters With Saudi Money", 2018/04/19
- Mint Press News, "Netherlands Cuts Funding to White Helmets Over Likely Links to Terrorism", 2018/09/17
- Stephen Gowans, "The (Largely Unrecognized) US Occupation of Syria", 2018/03/11
- CIA, USAID, and NGOs
- Ryan Dawson interview with Douglas Valentine (author of The CIA as Organized Crime) in May 2014 - role of US-backed NGOs in setting the stage for the Maidan protests
- Neo-Nazis among the anti-Russian opposition
- Foreign Policy, "Yes, There Are Bad Guys in the Ukrainian Government", 2014/03/18 - mainstream admission that Ukraine's government following Maidan had a significant neo-Nazi presence
- BBC Newsnight investigation of links between the new government and neo-Nazis
- Channel 4 News, "Far-right group at heart of Ukraine protests meet US senator", 2013/12/16 - the Svoboda party, which played a major role in the opposition to Yanukovych, was endorsed by John McCain
- Channel 4 News, "Ukraine: far-right extremists at core of ‘democracy’ protest", 2014/01/24 - right-wing extremists were at the core of the opposition protests
- The Guardian, "Ukrainian far-right group claims to be co-ordinating violence in Kiev", 2014/01/23 - initial protests were overtaken by Pravy Sektor, a coalition of right-wing and nationalist groups
- Reuters, "In the battle between Ukraine and Russian separatists, shady private armies take the field", 2015/05/05 - Ukrainian oligarchs have hired private armies to protect against Russian-backed separatists, which include neo-Nazis
- Bloomberg, "Nazis Triumph Over Communists in Ukraine", 2015/05/19 - a law was passed in 2015 forcing Ukrainians to honor nationalist organizations that were pro-Nazi
- New York Times, "Islamic Battalions, Stocked With Chechens, Aid Ukraine in War With Rebels", 2015/07/08 - admits the involvement of Right Sector and Islamist groups in the anti-Russia militias
- Washington Post, "Ukraine turns a blind eye to ultrarightist militia", 2017/02/13 - a neo-Nazi fighting for Ukraine says that reports of fascists fighting for Ukraine are Russian propaganda
- Maidan protests
- Professor Ivan Katchanovski at the University of Ottawa releases a paper concluding that the Maidan snipers were a false flag (full paper)
- Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas Paet confirms that snipers were employed by Maidan leaders
- BBC, "The untold story of the Maidan massacre", 2015/02/12 - one Maidan protester admits to being a sniper
- il Giornale, "The version of the snipers on the Kiev massacre: «Opposition orders»", 2017/11/15 - confirms that Maidan snipers were anti-Yanukovych forces from outside the country
- Transfer of power - arguably a coup
- Leaked transcript of Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland discussing how the new government should be structured
- Yanukovych's removal from power was unconstitutional (see William Hague's speech)
- After the new government took over, the legislature overwhelmingly voted to remove Russian from its status as an official language
- Petro Poroshenko admits that Yanukovych was overthrown in a coup
- Counterpunch article on Ukraine and US neoliberal imperialism
- George Soros seems to have played a critical role in running Ukraine's post-Maidan government
- 9 months after the revolution, Natalie Jaresko became Ukraine's finance minister and took out a $40 billion loan over 4 years from the IMF
- Consortium News, "NYT Still Pretends No Coup in Ukraine", 2015/01/06
- Backers of the Center for a New American Security (CNAS), which Nuland now leads (includes military contractors Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, DynCorp; banks Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley; oil companies Exxon, BP, Shell; and more deep political actors)
- Rolling Stone, "THE CIA AND THE MEDIA" by Carl Bernstein, 1977/10/20
- "The New York Times. The Agency’s relationship with the Times was by far its most valuable among newspapers, according to CIA officials. From 1950 to 1966, about ten CIA employees were provided Times cover under arrangements approved by the newspaper’s late publisher, Arthur Hays Sulzberger. The cover arrangements were part of a general Times policy—set by Sulzberger—to provide assistance to the CIA whenever possible."
- "When Newsweek waspurchased by the Washington Post Company, publisher Philip L. Graham was informed by Agency officials that the CIA occasionally used the magazine for cover purposes, according to CIA sources. "It was widely known that Phil Graham was somebody you could get help from," said a former deputy director of the Agency. "Frank Wisner dealt with him." Wisner, deputy director of the CIA from 1950 until shortly before his suicide in 1965, was the Agency's premier orchestrator of "black" operations, including many in which journalists were involved. Wisner liked to boast of his "mighty Wurlitzer," a wondrous propaganda instrument he built, and played, with help from the press.) Phil Graham was probably Wisner's closest friend. But Graharn, who committed suicide in 1963, apparently knew little of the specifics of any cover arrangements with Newsweek, CIA sources said."
- "Information about Agency dealings with the Washington Post newspaper is extremely sketchy. According to CIA officials, some Post stringers have been CIA employees, but these officials say they do not know if anyone in the Post management was aware of the arrangements."
- Jeff Bezos influence
- Ken Dilanian
- Moon of Alabama, "Media's Beloved "Expert" Eliot Higgins - Wrong Again And Again And Again", 2015/06/03
- Off Guardian, "The tragi-comedy that is “Brown Moses”", 2015/08/18
- Graham Phillips, "Eliot Higgins of Bellingcat, Who is He? Everything You Need to Know…", 2016/02/28
- World Socialist Web Site, "The Bellingcat research collective: War propaganda masquerading as “citizen journalism”", 2016/10/13
- Business Insider, "Here's why billionaires keep buying newspapers despite them being in a death spiral", 2018/02/21: "So what is it with billionaires wanting to own newspapers even though they have a "terrible future," as Buffett had put it so elegantly in 2009 before he started buying newspapers himself?
Wealthy people buying and running newspapers is a well-established practice. And fortunes have been made founding the old print media, including by such newspaper moguls as William Randolph Hearst. It's just that there are a lot more billionaires these days, with asset prices inflated as they have been since the global money-printing orgy started in 2008. The print media may be in a death spiral, but some of their online versions have a large and growing readership, though they might still lose money. And a little red ink may well be worth the price to influence the debate."
- Covert Action Information Bulletin, "The CIA on Campus" by Robert Witanek, 1989 winter
- "The nature of the relationship between the CIA and the academic community is best seen in a 1968 memo from Dr. Earl C. Bolton who, while serving as Vice President of the University of California at Berkeley, was secretly consulting for the CIA. The memo, widely circulated among U.S. universities, advises the use of duplicity and deception to hide CIA connection to the campuses."
- "From 1955-59, Michigan State University had a $25 million contract with the CIA to provide academic cover to five CIA agents stationed in South Vietnam who performed such jobs as drafting the government's constitution, and providing police training and weapons to the repressive Diem regime. The constitution included a provision requiring the South Vietnamese to carry voter identification cards. Citizens without such cards were assumed to be supporters of the Vietcong, and faced arrest or worse by the regime's police."
- "The CIA started the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Center for International Studies (MIT-CIS) in 1950. By 1952, former Director of the CIA's Office of National Estimates Max Millikan became director of the center."
- "In the mid 1950s, professors at MIT and Cornell launched field projects in Indonesia to train an elite of Indonesian military and economic leaders who later became the impetus behind the coup that brought Suharto to power and left over one million people dead. The elites were trained at the Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies at the University of California at Berkeley by Guy Pauker who had moved there from MIT-Center for International Studies."
- "In 1965, Rene Lemarchand, a nontenure professor at the University of Florida, returned from a trip to Burundi. Shortly thereafter, Justin Gleischauf, the Miami CIA station chief contacted Lemarchand, asking him for an interview. Manny Dauer, Lemarchand's department chair, advised him to cooperate fully in answering the questions the CIA had for him. Lemarchand, however, turned down the invitation."
- "In 1968, George Rawick, a sociology professor at Oakland University was approached by James R. Hooker, of Michigan State University's African Studies Center for recruitment into the CIA."
- "In 1968, the CIA used the Eagleton Institute for Research at Rutgers University in a plan to influence the outcome of the presidential election in Guyana. Through the Eagleton Institute, the CIA helped amend the Guyanese constitution to allow Guyanese and relatives of Guyanese living abroad to vote by absentee ballot. Then 16,000 votes were manufactured in New York City, giving the CIA's candidate, Forbes Burnham, a narrow margin over socialist Cheddi Jagan."
- "Another operation involving Rutgers University was run by Political Science Department Chair, Professor Richard Mansbach, who used an undergraduate class (without the students' knowledge) as cover for a CIA project entitled the "European Non-State Actors Project" (ENSAP) in 1984."
- "An October 9, 1987 memo from the Office of the Associate Dean at the University of Texas to the faculty shows how eager university officials are to cooperate with the CIA's Officer in Residence program."
- "In 1986, professor Nadav Safran resigned as head of Harvard's Center for Middle Eastern Affairs after revealing that he secretly received payment from the CIA to write a book about Saudi Arabia and to stage a conference about the Middle East at the University."
- "In 1985, an official of the Harvard Center for International Affairs was embroiled in a similar controversy when he conducted research secretly funded by the CIA."
- Mark Crispin Miller discusses domestic election theft as a state crime against democracy (SCAD), akin to CIA election theft abroad
- Lisa Pease, "The Framing of Alger Hiss", 1996/01
- Workers World, "Voices from Russia in Defense of Socialism" by Bill Dores
- NSA surveillance in the 21st century - much of it revealed by Edward Snowden