- VoteHere: Advisory board member
Main article: Iran-Contra
- Lawrence Walsh's report on Robert Gates
- Washington Post, "Robert Gates and the Neverending Story . . . Iran-Contra Redux: Once More into the Breach of Trust", 1991/09/19: pages 1, 2, 3, 4
- Lawrence Walsh, "Lies, Cover Ups and Slanted Intelligence: Robert Gates and Iran/Contra", 2006/11/08
- Democracy Now, "Defense Secretary Nominee Robert Gates Tied to Iran-Contra Scandal and the Secret Arming of Saddam Hussein", 2006/11/09
- Daily Kos blogger LondonYank, "Robert Gates Promoted and Financed Osama Bin Laden", 2006/11/09
- Mother Jones, "Rumsfeld’s Replacement: The Robert Gates File", 2006/11/09
- Ray McGovern, "The Cheney-Gates Cabal", 2006/11/10
- Prelude to Terror by Joseph Trento quotes former associate CIA director Robert Crowley as saying that Gates provided Carter's debate briefing book to William Casey prior to the October 28, 1980 presidential debate: "There is no question Gates had access to it [the briefing book]. There is no question Casey got it."
- What was Gates's role in the Pentagon child pornography scandal?
- Robert Parry, "Robert Gates Double-Crosses Obama", 2014/01/08
- Salon, "Rex Tillerson’s name was suggested to Donald Trump by three establishment Republicans who represented him", 2016/12/14